I Thessalonians 5:11-22 list about 18 things Christians are encouraged to do. Verse 17 simply says, “Pray without ceasing.” (KJV) Other translations say “Never stop praying”; “Pray continually”; “Pray at all times.” The emphasis is on maintaining an attitude of prayer and maintaining an open communication with our Heavenly Father. Prayer is essential in the Christian’s life.
Jim George in the book, A LEADER AFTER GOD’S OWN HEART, gives these reasons why prayer is important.
- Prayer demonstrates our dependence on God.
- Prayer eliminates pride and self-sufficiency.
- Prayer requires us to look beyond ourselves and our perceived abilities and shortcomings.
- Prayer makes us wait, slows us down. We cannot pray and plow forward at the same time
- Prayer sharpens our vision. Many decisions are shrouded in a haze of uncertainty. Prayer helps clear away the fog.
- Prayer quiets the heart and deals with our worry.
- Prayer energizes our faith. Taking time to pray professes our willingness to trust God. It inspires us to a greater confidence in the Lord and deeper commitment to his work.
Blessings, Pastor Blood